It’s not easy. I go through so many days where the inspiration to work is not there. And then there’s the fact that I have many things to do. Where do we account for the amount of time lost when working for yourself? I can’t say that it’s easy and I won’t. It’s not true. It takes years of hard work, and just when you feel like you’re getting somewhere, it can easily spiral down in an instant. Therefore, I don’t have an easy formula on how to have a great business. I’m here to show you what it really feels/looks like to work for yourself.
1. There’s no one to force you to get something done. I can’t stress this enough. You ultimately have to force yourself to get work done. And it’s not easy. You are the ultimate provider/worker for your business. And if you’re not working, then you can bet your business is at a standstill.
2. You are going to take A LOT of sick days or breaks. I used to work all the time and I can’t really say that it made me happy. I ultimately decided to take two days off in the week. I really needed it. I feel like I would go crazy if I didn’t have my days off.
3. The work never ends. There is always more that you can do. You can easily work 10-12 hour days, but do you really want to? I don’t.
4. It takes so much time to build your company. I’ve found that things don’t grow overnight. It’s because of dedication and consistency that will get you somewhere. If you’re not in it for the long haul, then you should not create a business.
5. There is so much organizing! You don’t even know how much organizing that you have to do. I spend all of my time working on how to make things more efficient. We also spend time cleaning a lot. Organization is the key.
6. You will respond to emails or calls while you’re on vacation. Yes, it’s true. The work never leaves and sometimes it can stick with you even when you’re on vacation. I’ll get called in to do make-up lessons on my days off. It’s part of the job.
7. You have to focus on yourself. I used to not have time to eat when I was working 10 hour days. Now, I’ll spend time with my dog Zoe and I spend more time with my partner.
8. Your phone is your savior. And your planner is too.
9. Your call will age faster.
10. Get an assistant to help you with as much as they can. I wouldn’t get as much work done, if I didn’t have my assistant. He’s a lifesaver.